A BRIEF BACKGROUND TO WELTON MEMORIAL HALL AND SOCIAL CLUB
The earliest document in the deeds of the Hall is dated 25 June 1764, concerning a house with a considerable area of land, including a large orchard. After the death of the last occupant in 1898, when it had become known as The Doctor’s House, it was acquired by the Harrison-Broadley estate in 1904 and the Hall was built as an addition to the Georgian house, which was used as the Estate Hall. Tenants paid their rents in what is now the Committee Room. A billiards room was added later.
During the 1939/45 war, various fundraising activities took place in the Parish with the aim of providing all the men and women of the Parish who had served in the forces with some recognition of their service to King and Country. All the money raised was placed in the Welton Welfare Fund, which was managed by a committee and three trustees elected by residents. The original trustees were Harry Evison, Henry Kilvington and Tommy Moore.
In 1947 a public meeting was called to decide how to distribute the money in the Welfare Fund. The views of ex-servicemen and women were particularly taken note of and it was agreed that there should be some form of memorial to the fallen.
At that time, the Harrison-Broadley family who owned most of the village and a large part of the East Riding, found themselves in financial difficulties as they faced significant death duties. Captain John Broadley had died in the early part of the war and his son and heir, John, had been killed whilst in the RAF.
In 1947 the trustees proposed that the Estate, which was being broken up, be approached with a view to selling the Hall to the Parish Council, using the money in the Welfare Fund along with a mortgage. This was agreed at a purchase price of £3250, freehold, in 1948.
There is a memorial plaque in the Hall which records the reason and purpose of the Hall belonging to the Parish.
The Hall was run by a general committee with representation of about 12 organisations in the village, each of which had one representative and this became the Welton, Melton and Wauldby Welfare Society, registered with the Charities Commission. There was also a management committee for day to day control.
It quickly became clear that income from lettings could not support paying the mortgage as well as running expenses and maintenance and so in 1949 an application was made for a licence to sell alcohol on the premises. This was granted in late summer 1949, but the law meant that this had to be a membership club.
In the late 1950’s the general committee was disbanded and the management of the Hall was passed to the Trustees and Management Committee. In the 1980’s a new charity was created to run the Hall and the Parish Council became Custodian Trustee. At the same time the Social Club was granted a lease.
At the present time the trustees are moving towards a new structure as a Charitable Incorporated Organisation, with registration as a new charity and a new lease is being agreed with the Social Club.
There are plans to improve the Hall facilities so that it can continue to be a valuable and cherished asset to the parish of Welton, Melton and Wauldby.